Potato, Green Bean and Bacon Soup

Time for October's Secret Recipe Club


This month I received the blog An Affair From The Heart. I have followed Michaela's blog for awhile and was excited to try out one of her recipes. As a perused the recipes many of them jumped out at me such as: The Best Bloody Mary, Crack Bread and Double Decker Baked Tacos. However, I finally decided on Potato, Green Bean and Bacon Soup. The recipe is an original recreation of a family favorite. I like to pick recipes that are special to the individual because it normally involves trying something new and the recipes are usually delicious. 

This recipe did not disappoint my family. I loved that the soup is thickened from the mashed potatoes as well as the cream. The fresh green beans and bacon as a very tasty combo. My son and husband gobbled up this soup and Kellen even reached over and grabbed extra green beans from my bowl! The original recipe is for 8 servings, but I got about 6 servings from the portions and that worked perfectly for my family of 3. 

This soup is perfect for fall and keeping warm on a cool evening. I (and the rest of my family) can't wait to get this on my table again! Thank you Michaela for a delicious husband and toddler approved recipe! 


Ingredients

4 cups fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into small pieces
1 pound bacon, cut into small pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
4 medium sized potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 pint heavy cream
2 cups 2% milk
Salt & Pepper, to taste


Instructions

 Cook the potatoes until tender. Drain water and slightly mash. Set aside.

Steam green beans until slightly tender. Set aside.

In a dutch oven, cook bacon pieces until crisp, remove bacon with a slotted spoon, drain fat and return to stove top.

Add onion to the pot and saute until soft. Add bacon back to the pot, add green beans, mashed potatoes, and cover with milk and cream.

Cook medium-low (avoid boiling) to allow soup to thicken. Season with salt & pepper. Serve immediately.


An InLinkz Link-up

Labels: , , , ,