Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken Tater Tot Casserole

How was April Fool's for everyone? Did you get pranked or were you the pranker?  I didn't have a witty April's Fools Day joke to play yesterday, and I am actually a little disappointed in myself because I love mischief and practical jokes. I know some people hate April Fool's Day, but I think as long as the jokes are light hearted it is a lot of fun. One of my favorite jokes was one played by my college roommate. She put chicken bouillon cubes in the upper part of an old shower fixture- chicken soup showers for everyone! Maybe next year I will be more organized for a few friendly jokes.

Today's recipe for Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken Tater Tot Casserole comes from Kylee Cooks. I have seen this recipe circulating on Pinterest and it is similar to a recipe my co-worker makes for her family.  When Kylee posted it I knew it was a perfect quick weekend meal for my family. I knew that I needed to make it on the weekend because the cook time is only 4-5 hours and we are working away from home during the week. I normally do not pull my slow cooker out on the weekend, but it was so nice to have dinner after a busy Saturday. The recipe is so easy and the only change I made was too add a little more milk and 2 extra slices of bacon. I have no shame in admitting that I love tater tots and my entire family really liked this recipe. The flavors captured all the different favorite comfort foods and we gobbled it up. Kellen really enjoyed this recipe and was particularly fond of the the chicken.  I served this is a side of roasted green beans for a complete meal.

Tonight, I am stopping at my friend Kayla's for a visit and later in the evening I am going to play volleyball. I am also making a new casserole recipe tonight to share with you next week! I am also getting everything ready for a weekend visit from our favorite bunny! 


Ingredients

32oz bag frozen tater tots
8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 medium onion, diced
2 cups of cheddar cheese, grated
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 cup milk (I use whole)


Instructions

Mix the seasoning together in a small bowl. Layer the slow cooker with 1/3 tater tots, bacon, chicken, seasoning, onion and cheese and repeat twice more finishing with the layer of cheese. Pour the milk over the top of the casserole.

Cook on low for 4-6 hours (my chicken was reached 165 degrees at approximately 5 hours).

Labels: , , , , ,