Slow Cooker French Onion Pulled Chicken Sandwiches

Yep- more french onion recipes (like I believe you are really that disappointed!). 

I talk about our love of slow cooker meals on weeknights and this is a wonderful recipe to change up chicken sandwiches for your family. I love french onion soup and making the  DIY onion soup mix inspired me to make a sandwich focusing on my favorite french onion flavors. There are two thing (in my opinion) that you need for a great onion soup- tender flavorful onions and cheese. This recipe does not disappoint in any of these categories.  I opted to toast the buns to get a gooey melty cheese that was perfect with the flavorful chicken and cheese. You certainly could allow the chicken to melt the cheese, but you will not get the fabulous stringy quality and slight crunch of the roll. 

My family loved these sandwiches and they made fantastic leftover for work lunches the following day. I loved how the onions mixed right in the chicken so there was a bite of onion flavor with every bite. 

Tonight we were planning of Thai, but after traveling to get the car and Ron slightly under the weather we postponed our dinner. Hopefully it will be sooner than later because I am really in the mood for Thai red curry... I was actually a little torn thinking about what to get earlier today because my sister-in-law always gets Panang curry and it is also soooo good. I guess not I have more time t decide! Speaking of cars..... I love ours! I will tell you more about it in my meal plan post tomorrow, but I adore it even after owning it for a 6 hours! 

Tomorrow we are heading to brunch and then to see Dinosaur Train! Have a great rest of the weekend! 


Ingredients

6 chicken breast
1 1/2 cup chicken stock or broth
1 recipe of DIY Onion Soup Mix or 1 packet store bought
1 large onion, sliced thin
1/ tsp Black pepper
Sliced Provolone or Swiss Cheese (use the cheese you like the best- I prefer Provolone in this sandwich)
Sandwich Buns


Instructions

Place chicken in a slow cooker and sprinkle onion soup mix and black pepper over the top. Add onions and stock. Cook on low 7-8 hours. Remove chicken and shred and return to slow cooker for an additional 30 minutes.

While chicken is finishing cooking, cut the buns in half and place a piece of cheese on each half. Broil the buns to toast the bread and melt the cheese. This will only take a minute or two, and make sure to keep a careful eye to prevent burning.

On the bottom bun, spoon chicken on top of the cheese and cover with remaining bun half. Serve immediately. 

Labels: , ,