Homemade Cheesy Hamburger Helper

Hamburger Helper.... the stuff childhood meals were made of. Actually not at my house because my Mom wasn't a fan, but chicken and rice with cream of mushroom soup? Then you were talking our language.  Even though my mom didn't make this for us it didn't stop me from loving when it was on the menu at a friend's house. My favorites were always the cheeseburger and the cheesy tuna (I guess that makes it tuna helper). When spied this recipe for homemade hamburger helper on Pinterest I was really excited to give it a try- nostalgia here I come! 

I loved that this recipe was one-pot and came together so quickly with zero chopping. I like to have recipes like this in my pocket for weeknight meals because our time gets limited, and I have a hungry two-year old who needs his meal. Kellen, Ron and I loved this meal. Kellen exclaimed that he " loved the little hamburgers" and proceeded to point out all the pieces of burger on his plate as he ate them.

Last night I met my good friend for ice cream with the kids. My friend is almost to her due date and looks so lovely each time I see her! The kids were excited about the ice cream, and we could see the sugar highs kick in! Kellen had a cup of chocolate custard with a few M&Ms sprinkled on top and I have a mixer with M&Ms and Oreo....so delicious.  I also had a volleyball game last night and it was a lot of fun! We won 1 of 3, but the games were all really close! 

Tonight, we are heading to Appleton to hang out with my sister in-law and brother in-law. I am really excited because we always laugh a lot AND we are getting Thai food- double bonus! 

Tomorrow is Pi Day and I have two recipes to share with you! One savory, one sweet and both delicious. Make sure to check back tomorrow because I am linking with other bloggers and there will be lots of great recipes to check out! Tomorrow I am also heading to Door County for the St. Patrick's Day parade in Sturgeon Bay and to stop at our cottage to check out the beach (frozen beaches in winter are beautiful!). 

TGIF Folks! 


Ingredients

1 lb ground beef
2 1/2 cups milk (I use 2%)
1 1/2 cups hot water
2 cups elbow macaroni
1 Tbl cornstarch
1 Tbl chili powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
pinch crushed red pepper flakes
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese


Instructions

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Spray lightly with cooking spray, and add ground beef. Brown until no longer pink and drain any drippings from the pan. Add the pasta, milk, water and spices. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until the pasta is al dente. Towards the end, keep an eye on the pasta to make sure it does not get to dry. If this happens add a little extra milk or water. Add the cheese and stir till melted. Serve immediately

Labels: , , ,