Slowcooker Cheddar Bacon Ale Dip

I am having a good food week. Not like eating healthy good, but good as in I want to make everything I posted and eat it again. 

Remember how I told you that I won my work’s dip contest last week? Well this dip was my winning creation and, speaking of re-making things, I had to make it again so I could share it with you! You have no idea how tickled I am that there is a crock of it sitting in my fridge ready to be destroyed by Ron and I tonight while we watch Cold Justice and play Mario Kart tonight (yep- battle is still going!). 

This dip came together on a whim for me as I was brainstorming what to make for the contest. I was having a craving for strong amber beer and thought what could be a more perfect base? I of course needed to add cheese and bacon because they are the remaining amigos of that trifecta.  There are a few key things to this dip that put it over the top (not that it won’t be delicious if you deviate, but it will be more delicious if you don’t), the type of bacon, flavor or the beer and sharpness of the cheese. I exclusively use Nueske’s Applewood Smoked Bacon in our house. I have tried a lot of different bacons and this is the best. The smoky flavor is amazing and they bacon is nice and thick.  If you do not have Nueske’s available to you I recommend getting a thick and very smoky bacon for this dip.  My favorite amber beer is from Capitol Brewery and I use the Capitol Amber in this recipe. The beer has a bitter flavor and is very smooth. I would use an amber beer (or lighter if you wish) for this recipe, but probably would not use a dark beer. The final part is the cheese. Sharp cheddar is a must to provide the tangy bite of the dip. I like to use Steve’s sharp cheddar freshly grated off the block. I am sure I sound completely picky, but these flavors will provide you with an amazing dip! I also like to serve the dip with pretzel bites. I do not make mine and buy pretzel buns from a bakery and cut them up to serve with the dip. However, if you are feeling ambitious homemade bites would be amazing!

This recipe comes as a perfect post before the play-off games on Sunday! I don’t know about you, but I am pumped for Sunday’s Packer game! However, before Sunday rolls around we are heading to the Dells with a few friends and kids. It is going to be a fun weekend and I can’t wait to relax in the pool, laugh with our friends and play with Kellen. We are staying at The Wilderness and the hotel has a bunch of restaurants and lots of water park activities (even a wave pool!).  I am off today and getting ready for the trip while Ron works and Kellen is at daycare (or “friend’s house” as he call it), and we are leaving as soon as they get home! I am really excited to get away even if it is for a few days…. Our family is always so busy and It is nice to take a weekend to spend time with each other.  

Have a great weekend everyone and Go Pack Go! 


Ingredients

18 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 Tbl Dijon mustard
1 tsp garlic powder
8 oz amber beer 
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
1 lb bacon cooked and chopped - reserve 2 Tbl for topping 
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 Tbl thinly sliced green onion
Pretzel Rolls, cut in bite size pieces


Instructions 

In a large bowl, mix cream cheese, sour cream, mustard, garlic powder till smooth.  Slowly whisk in the beer until smooth. Stir in the grated cheese and chopped bacon.  Spoon the dip into the slow cooker and turn the heat to low. Cook for about 3-4 hours and stir often to make sure the sides do not burn.  In the 30 minutes of cooking, stir in the heavy cream 1 tablespoon at a time.  Once all the cheese is melted and dip is smooth turn the heat to warm. Top with remaining bacon and onions. Serve with pretzel bites.

Labels: , , , , ,