Tex Mex Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Today I am bringing you another winner from my slowcooker.  I originally bookmarked these Tex Mex Pulled Pork Sandwiches from So Tasty, So Yummy when she posted them in August, and can't believe that it has taken this long for me to get them on our dinner table!  I loved the combination of juicy flavorful pork, spicy cheese and creamy avocado sounded too good to pass up! 

I made these on a night my friend Emily was coming over to watch Law and Order for us to munch on as we enjoyed our show (I still miss Elliot Stabler!).  I have to say that these sandwiches are nothing short of amazing. The pork is so flavorful and the flavors of the cheese and avocado are work perfectly in the sandwich.  The sandwiches make fantastic leftovers and I looked forward to the leftovers as lunch time rolled around. 

Tonight I have a little candy making and card sending on my agenda. Ron is finishing school this week and has a bit of school work before graduation on Friday. Tonight I also need to get cracking on my portion of the dinner menu for my family Christmas on Saturday. I really can't believe that the holidays are almost here, but love this time of year.  Kellen and I watched How The Grinch Stole Christmas for the first time last night.  My kid can be so stinking cute sometimes.... he loved the movie, and yelled "Mr. Grinch!" every time the Grinch came onto the screen.   He is a little young for my all time favorite Christmas/Halloween movie: The Nightmare Before Christmas- next year.  I love Jack Skellington and you may remember Kellen wearing Jack Skellington hat the majority of the the fall before I left it at a restaurant (sob). I also find myself singing "making Christmas, making Christmas!" around our house.  

Maybe I will scrap all my plans and watch that tonight with a glass of wine..... 


Ingredients

for pork:
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp  pepper
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 pork shoulder roast
1/2 cup salsa verde
1 cup of beer

for avocado crema:
2 avocados, diced
3 Tbl  sour cream
juice from one lime
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 tsp chili powder

8 bolillo rolls (or comparable variety)
Queso (I used spicy jarred variety)


Instructions

In a medium bowl, mix together salsa, beer, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper.  Spray the inside of the crockpot with cooking spray and layer the onions over the bottom. Add pork to the crockpot and pour salsa mixture over the top.  Cook on low for 10 to 12 hours. Shred the pork with two forks and return to the crockpot for 30-60 minutes before serving. Using a food processor (you could do this by hand or with a hand mixer as well) process the avocado, sour cream, lime juice, chili powder and salt until smooth. Spread the avocado crema on the bolillo roll, followed by the shredded pork and topped with queso. 

Labels: , , , , ,