Roasted Garlic Risotto

Happy Friday! 

I am really looking forward to this weekend for a few reasons- Kellen's birthday party and the Packer game!  Kellen's party is tomorrow and I have lots to do before show time.  I will have some photos and details on the party/birthday fun in my weekly meal plan, but I can say that it is a farm theme with a hot dog bar and there will be mac and cheese!  

I made this risotto and served it with my antipasto stuffed chicken earlier this week. I love roasting garlic and it is normal to find a few sticks of roasted garlic butter in my freezer. I also love making different risottos and this risotto was absolutely delicious! The garlic flavor was just subtle enough, but still allowed the hearty flavor to come through. I kept this recipe simple and added a small amount of shallots, a bit of wine and a little fresh parsley. To me, this is a perfect side because it not the "same old same old", but is versatile enough to pair with any dish. 

Tonight is going to be a bit or a whirlwind, but I think we might try to squeeze in fish at a local bar before I start decorating and cooking. 

Have a wonderful weekend everyone! 


Ingredients

2 Tbl olive oil
1 Tbl butter
1 shallot, minced
1 cup arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
4 cups chicken stock
1 medium-large garlic bulb (about 8 good sized cloves)
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Chopped Italian parsley


Instructions

roasted garlic:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. slice the garlic at the stem, and wrap it in aluminum foil with a drizzle of olive oil on  top of it. Wrap it up and roast for 30 minutes. Cool and squeeze out garlic cloves. 

Place stock in a medium saucepan. Bring  to a simmer (do not boil). Keep warm over low-medium heat.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and butter to pan; swirl to coat. Add shallots; cook 1-2 minutes minutes. Stir in rice, and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Increase heat to medium and add 1/2 cup wine; cook about 2 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly.  Continue by adding stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of stock is absorbed before adding the next. Mashed the roasted garlic cloves and add them to the rice with last portion of stock is added. Stir to break apart the cloves and evenly cook in the risotto.  Remove from heat and stir in the cheese. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately. 

Labels: , , , , ,