Slowcooker Chicken and Dumplings

It was snowing on Monday and Tuesday. SNOWING. I am not ready for this.  Granted, I understand living in Wisconsin means living with a fall season full of inconsistent weather, but it still feels too early for snow.  I came across Slowcooker Chicken and Dumplings from All Things Delicious and thought it sounded wonderfully easy (and a great way to use my homemade cream of chicken soup!).  Cold weather always brings out my need for comforting am warm meals, and this recipe fits the bill perfectly.  I know chicken and dumplings are a very popular meal, but outside of broth based soup it was not something I had eaten very many times. However, the ease of the crockpot, tender chicken, flavorful gravy and rich dumplings won me over to put the recipe on my meal plan.  

Ron, Kellen and I loved this meal. It was so homey, comforting- perfect bowl on a chilly evening.  I also love that it hardly takes any work to put together, and that is always a big weeknight plus for me. I opted to use chicken breasts for my recipe, but I think thighs would also be delicious if you prefer dark meat (or a mix).  As I said before, I use my version of cream of chicken soup over canned, but canned would work fine in place of a DYI soup.  In my instructions, I advise to season when the meal is done. There is salt in the ingredients of this dish, and I would salt after to allow the flavors to come out and so you do not end up with a over salted crockpot of chicken and dumplings! 

Tonight Ron is working in the lab leaving Kellen and I to get dinner ready. I am making Bacon Pieorogie Bake, and we usually end up eating half the bacon....without having to share it with Ron. There are methods to my madness and hording the bacon is one of them. I am also excited to watch American Horror Story tonight! I forgot to record the episode last week and now get to watch both! Is Twisty gone forever?????? 


Ingredients

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts 
2 Tbl butter
1 recipe of Cream of Chicken Soup (equivalent of 2 cans)
2 1/2 cups chicken stock (or broth)
1 small onion, diced 
1 1/2 Tbl dried parsley
5 flaky refrigerator biscuits (I used Grands brand)
Salt and pepper, to taste 


Instructions

Place chicken breasts into the crockpot and top with butter and onions.  In a medium bowl, whisk together the soup mixture, broth and parsley. Pour over chicken. 

Cook chicken on low 7-8 hours. Remove chicken from crockpot, shred and return to crockpot. Cut each biscuit into nine pieces and gently stir into the chicken mixture. Cover and cook for an additional hour. Season with salt and pepper if desired and serve. 

Labels: ,