General Tso's Meatballs

Who doesn't love meatballs? Meatballs are an amazing comfort food for my family. We normally eat them with pasta, but when Nichole, author of Cookaholic Wife, posted these meatballs I knew I had to try this version using the ever popular General Tso flavors. These meatballs are super simple and perfect for a weeknight meal. Our whole family loved these meatballs and they made fantastic leftovers for lunches the following day. The sauce is sweet and salty with the perfect touch of heat. I served ours with rice and steamed broccoli, and the rice perfectly soaked up the extra sauce from the meatballs.  I made a few changes to the original recipe because it was originally gluten free and I added bread crumbs and cornstarch. I also opted to use a large portion of meat and made our meatballs a little larger.  If you would like to follow the gluten free/paleo version you can find it on Nichole's blog (link is above). 

I had some exciting news this week! I entered my recipe for Beer and Brat Mac & Cheese with the Festival Foods Tailgating Recipe Contest and I am in the top 4 for October! The prize is $500 and to win I need your votes! There are many recipes entered and it was pretty cool to make the top 4, but would be even cooler to win. Here is the link to the contest and my recipe- I would love you vote!

On another note, my friend Amanda won her Assembly race! Unfortunately, many others did not make it to victory, but I am so proud of my friend words can't even describe it!  



Ingredients

for meatballs:
2 lb beef
2 eggs
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
4 green onions, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt 
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp grated fresh ginger

for sauce:
1/2 tsp sesame oil
3 Tbl rice wine vinegar
3 Tbl soy sauce 
3 Tbl honey
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp cornstarch
6 green onions, chopped
1 1/2 tsp Sriracha sauce


Instructions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray. Add ground beef and all meatballs ingredients into a large bowl. Gently mix by hand and roll into 16 larger meatballs. Place meatballs on the baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through.

While meatballs are cooking, whisk sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, honey, water, Sriracha and cornstarch together in a small saucepan until combined. Stir in the green onions and bring to a boil. Simmer for until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes and remove from the heat.

Remove meatballs from oven and plate on a large rimmed dish. Pour the sauce over the meatballs and serve.

Labels: , ,