Cheesy Zucchini Rice

First things first.  The winner of Cooking and Baking with Almond Four is... Dawn Bedingfield!  Please e-mail me at cheesecurdinparadise@gmail.com with your contact information. 

Today I bring you a side dish to use any remaining zucchini from your gardens. This recipe comes from Josie of Pink Parsley and is absolutely wonderful! In our house, the main protein never seems to be a problem, but the side dishes can become ho-hum. I love finding a dish like this that is, not only easy, but delicious. My Ron is not a zucchini lover, but thought the rice was excellent and Kellen, who is a a zucchini lover, adored his "cheesy zucchini".  I served this a long side a grilled marinated chicken breast and it was the star of the night.  

I stayed true to Josie's original recipe, but added a few splashed of dry white wine because I happen to be drinking it while cooking and I love the flavor it gives to the dish. 

Yesterday my friend Emily and her daughter joined Kellen and I on a trip to Washington Island.  Ever since I heard that there was a lavender farm that opened this summer I have been itching to take a trip.  The farm was really cool and I am excited to go back next summer before everything is harvested.  Here is a picture of Kellen and chillin' in the field:

Getting to Washington Island is a lot of fun. It is a 30 minute boat ride and the lake was a bit choppy today and we got shot with water once or twice. 

We also stopped at the Farm Museum (new to both of us) and it was so fun! It was filled with old machinery, trails and even animals. Here is Mr. K exploring the Farm Musesum (I had to break out the Jack Skellington hat!):


Hope everyone has an amazing weekend! We are picking apples tonight and grilling and tomorrow are taking the kids to Quarry Quest in Oshkosh, but the more exciting is always- Sunday football!


Ingredients

2 cups vegetable stock
2 Tbl dry white wine (optional)
1 cup long-grain white rice
2 Tbs butter
1 medium zucchini, grated 
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
salt and pepper, to taste


Instructions

Bring the stock to a boil in a medium saucepan.  Stir in the rice and wine, cover, and reduce heat to low.

Cook about 20 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed.

Remove from heat and add the butter and zucchini.  Cover and allow to stand 5 minutes. Remove cover and stir to incorporate all ingredients.  Stir in the cheese, season with salt and pepper, and serve.

Labels: , , , ,