Blueberry Zucchini Bread

It is no secret that our family loves weekly (or sometimes bi-weekly) trips to the farmer's market.  Our garden got away from us this year due to our two week trip to France and we love that we can still farm fresh produce a few times a week.  This past weekend I pick up some local zucchini and fresh Michigan blueberries.  I really love sauteing zucchini in a bit of olive oil with a sprinkle of sea salt- perfect side.  However, I wanted to try something different with zucchini and when I saw Eva's recipe for zucchini blueberry bread on our cooking board I was sold. One of my favorite breaks is my zucchini banana crumble bread and I was excited to try this recipe.  I also really liked that this recipe omitted any oils and used applesauce instead.  I was able to pull some from our freezer that I made last fall from our apple trees. I also love any excuse to use our homemade vanilla extract. I use a bit of rum in ours and love the flavor. 

My entire family loved this bread. Kellen adores blueberries and was very excited to see them. He picked up his bread and loudly exclaimed "ah booooburrrrrr".  Please don't grown up because you are too adorable. 

Tonight my entire family is in town for my cousin's wedding on Saturday afternoon. We are heading to my parents house and ordering pizza. I am bringing a roasted beet and goat cheese salad for a side.  I am so excited to see everyone and celebrate! 


Ingredients

2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 teaspoons vanilla extract 
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar; lightly packed
3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour (you can substitute all purpose)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup shredded zucchini
1 cup fresh blueberries (+ a few extra to sprinkle on top)


Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8.5 x 4.5 loaf pan.

In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugars. Fold in the zucchini. Gently mix in the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Gently fold in the blueberries and transfer to the prepared loaf pan. Top with additional blueberries. 

Bake 55-65 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean. Allow bread to cool completely before removing it from the loaf pan. 

Labels: , , ,