Tortellini Primavera

Is it crazy that I haven't eater tortellini in years prior to this meal?  Truth is I never cared for it much because it was meal I ate prior to coming down with a nasty bug as a child. It only took 25 years to get me back on board with it. 

I saw this recipe for Totellini Primavera posted on Pioneer Woman's site and thought it sounded amazing. I was initially surprised because I tend to bypass any and all tortellini recipes. However, since it tickled my fancy, I put it on our meal plan. The recipe has all of our favorite things: pasta, cheese, fresh veggies, ham and wine....what is not to like? 

One thing that is really fantastic about this recipe is that it is super quick to put together and only requires a little chopping- perfect for a weeknight.

 It is also a fantastic way to use any leftover Easter ham in a few weeks

The verdict: It was delicious! I am so happy I went back to this pasta because I really enjoyed it. The flavors of the veggies with the light creamy white wine sauce are so good!  The ham gives a nice salty flavor and paired with the sweet basil is perfect. 

This weekend we don't really have any plans.  Tonight I am hoping to grill if the rain holds off, Saturday I am bringing m car into the shop (blah) and Sunday is for relaxing and a chicken wing get together with a couple of my girlfriends.  

Have a great weekend! 


Ingredients

1 Tbl Butter
1 Tbl Olive Oil
1 Small Onion, Finely Diced
2 cloves Garlic, Minced
2/3 cup Diced Carrots
1 cup Cauliflower, Broken Into Small Pieces
1/4 cup White Wine
1/4 cup Chicken Stock
1/3 cup Heavy Cream
1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
 Salt And Pepper, to taste
8 whole Basil Leaves,Chiffonade
3/4 cups Cooked Ham, Diced
1 cup Frozen Peas
1 pound Cheese Tortellini


Instructions

Cook tortellini a couple of minutes less than package directions call for. Drain and set aside.
Melt the butter with olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and stir to cook for 2 minutes. Add the carrots and cauliflower, stir, and cook 3-4 minutes. Add wine and stock.  Cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in cream and Parmesan.

When the mixture is hot, stir in peas, ham, salt, and pepper. Allow them to heat up in the sauce for about 3 minutes. When the sauce is hot, stir in the tortellini. Season with salt and pepper, if needed. 

Labels: , , ,